Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Back to the Big City

Yesterday was a big day. It was the first time I went into the city since that mid-October day when I went on bedrest. I'm not going to lie. It was weird, both for how normal it felt getting on that train and for how from a different life it all felt. It didn't help that, to get to my doctor's office, I had to take the subway to the stop I get off at for work. I had to walk through the same streets I walk during my lunch breaks. Last time I was there, I could barely walk five blocks without getting winded, so it was nice to be able to power walk multiple blocks again.

But I still don't want to go back.

I flirted with the thought of stopping in at my office, but decided against it. Next Monday will be here soon enough, and that's soon enough for me to play catch-up with coworkers.

One of the weirdest things about the whole experience was walking through Penn Station. When I left, the kiosks were all decked out for Halloween. Now they are all pink and red for Valentine's Day. It was like I went through a time warp. It felt like all my experiences of the past three-plus months didn't happen, somehow. It's hard to describe. Perhaps our adventures with Hurricane Sandy don't help the situation, as that made the whole "having babies" thing seem even more surreal.

In any event, I was very happy to get back home and pick up the babies from daycare, where they had another great day, as evidenced by Indigo's smile in this photo from Day 26 of Project 365:



3 comments:

  1. Aww! It looks like they're having a blast. At least you always know they have each other. I think I'd feel a lot better knowing that.

    I feel you on the weirdness. It took like a week for me to feel like I had never left, except I have this totally different life when I go home now. In that sense, I found it comforting to return to work. It was nice to be with people who knew me way before I was pregnant (or even married, for that matter).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent points on all counts. They do have each other. And turning off the "mommy" role might be nice. It's really just the damned commute that kills me...

      Delete
  2. Yup, that's definitely the worst part for me. At least it's by train... we can read... I would kill myself if I commuted 100 miles a day by car.

    ReplyDelete