Monday, March 25, 2013

A Letter to Periwinke at Five Months

Dear Periwinkle,

Today you are five months old. You are such a different baby from the frail little thing we brought home from the hospital. You are strong and opinionated and seem to feel every emotion intensely. If you are happy, your smile is ecstatic. If you are upset, your cry expresses every tear. You've become very chatty and I could listen to you all day long as you work out vowel sounds and give hiccuping laughs.

Having a laugh with your daddy


So serious sometimes


Your biggest achievement this month is that you rolled over from front to back! I was so proud of you I clapped and cheered. You just looked confused at your altered worldview. You've gotten very close to doing it again, and we're going to keep working on it whenever we can. Soon you'll be rolling across the living room floor and there will be no stopping you.

You're also getting very close to sitting up on your own. You are excellent at hanging out on the couch and you can sit up in my lap with only a few fingers holding you up. We can see you trying to pull yourself up to sitting, working those abs and trying to find your balance. You'll get there soon.

Hanging out with mama on your sick day

You love the jumperoo exersaucer thingamabob we bought you guys. You sit in it, tentatively touching the various toys. You love the music most of all. One time you were happily enjoying the tunes, and the music stopped. Without missing a beat, you burst into tears. I couldn't help but laugh.

Exploring the new jumperoo


You've also started grabbing and holding onto things with more intent. I fear this also includes my hair. I'm beginning to understand why so many new moms chop their hair off, but I'm going to try to teach you that mommy's hair is a no-no.

Not feeling well


You were sick this month with some sort of upper respiratory virus. I think you saw your brother get sick and just wanted to follow his lead. You and I got to stay home together one day while you were getting better. It was one of my favorite days this month because we got some mommy-daughter time. I'm looking forward to spending this Friday with both of you, since daycare is closed for Good Friday. It's been marked on my calendar all month long. 

Playing hooky on a sick day


You and your brother are in separate cribs now, but you still look at each other. You're starting to really watch him and recognize him as your playmate, I think. Sometimes you two hold hands and it is just the sweetest thing ever. We wake up in the middle of the night to the sound of the two of you chatting away, alternating who is talking, as though you are carrying on a real conversation. I think you are. I really hope that you always remain friends. Brothers are great to have around.

Waking Blue up in the morning


I can't wait to see what this next month brings. Milestones are going to be happening even more quickly. Just keep trying to save them for me and daddy to see so we don't miss anything. You're growing up too fast as it is.

Love,
Mama

1 comment:

  1. I'm starting to be so jealous of your twins! Even though I'm sure it's harder at first, over time it will probably get even easier because they'll always have a playmate.

    Can't wait to watch these little tykes grow up. Thanks for sharing these letters!

    ReplyDelete