Thursday, April 25, 2013

A Letter to Periwinkle at Six Months

Dear Periwinkle,

It's so hard to believe that it's been only six months since you were hooked up to little tubes so you could eat, monitors checking all your vital signs, stuck in the NICU for two weeks while we waited for you to get the all-clear. Now you are thriving, downing 8oz bottles like nothing, eagerly reaching for the cheese and apples we started giving you this week, and talking to anyone who will listen.

Chatting away


I call you my little clone because you look so much like me. It seems your personality is a bit like mine as well--you never shut up! We hear you in the morning, pretty much at 6am on the nose, chatting away, sounding so happy. You also sometimes carry on like this in the middle of the night, and I really wish you'd stop that. You should be sleeping, little lady!

Yummy apples!


You rolled over front to back again, and one night I checked on you to find you on your tummy, so you must have managed rolling back to front. When I put you down you roll to your side, and I can just picture you rolling across the floor soon.

On your side, adoring your brother

You absolutely adore your brother. We separated you for an afternoon, and when we all got back home, you just stared at him, so happy to be back together. I love watching how much you love him. I know he loves you too, but he's trying to be a cool guy, I think.

So happy to be together again


You sit up in the Bumbo seat so well, I think you are not far off from sitting up on your own. You discovered your feet this month, as it's been warm enough to have you without socks. The expression on your face was priceless.

What are those?


You love crinkle books, both to play with and to eat. When we put you in your crib at night you grab onto Sara, your pink bunny, and hug her tight. I often find you still clutching her hours later.

Hanging out with your BFF


You behaved very well during your visit with Grandma and Grandpa, until the day we went to pick you up. You knew we were coming. But I'm glad you trust us enough to show us your moody side, to let us know when you are unhappy or bored. We'll keep trying to figure out how to keep you happy. You definitely cry a lot less than you used to. I think the earlier bedtime and better napping help with that. But whether you are crying or smiling, we love you all the same. Your smile is so addicting. People who see pictures of you smiling can't help but smile themselves. Keep smiling like that and you'll make the world a better, happier place.

All smiles in the morning


You've certainly made my world a brighter place. I can't wait to see what the next six months bring!

Love,
Mama

Hey, Mom!









No comments:

Post a Comment