Thursday, October 25, 2018

A Letter to Periwinkle at Six Years Old


Dear Periwinkle,

You are six. How did that happen? How are you in first grade? I hope you always face the world with the confidence you do now. Don’t lose it, baby girl. The world may try to tell you that you have to, that girls shouldn’t believe in themselves as much as you do, that you shouldn’t do certain things because you are a girl. Just tell them to shove off, and do it anyways.

We just finished your first trip to Disney, and though you had moments where I wanted to pack you back up and send you home, you amazed me with your bravery. Space Mountain? The intense Mission: Space? Seriously? You are an adrenaline junkie ready to take on the world. Just stay safe while doing it.

And I was proud when your teacher told me that despite missing four days, you were the only one in class raising their hand during math class, and you got every answer right. You’re also doing fantastic at reading these days. You are a smart cookie, and I hope you continue to be proud of that fact. Don’t dim your brightness for anyone.

I do wish you’d stop instigating trouble, often with an attempt to hide a smirk and an indignant “What? I didn’t mean to do that.”Or that you’d admit when you’re in the wrong instead of doubling down and lashing out. But we’re working on that. Growing up is tough work.

I often forget that you are only six, just out of toddler clothes. You speak with such authority and attitude, especially about baking and horses, your two great obsessions these days. But then you believe with such passion that Mickey and Minnie are real, and that Cinderella actually lives in that castle, and that the Tooth Fairy really brought you all that money, and you are a tiny girl again.

Stay little as long as you can, baby girl. I’m not ready for you to stop believing.

Happy birthday!

Love,
Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment