Tuesday, June 25, 2013

A Letter to Indigo at Eight Months

Dear Indigo,

Today you are eight months old. It simply amazes me the changes that take place in you on a monthly, even weekly, basis. Sometimes I look at you and I see more little boy than little baby in you. And then I pick you up and you snuggle into me and I realize you'll always be my little baby. You are my snuggle bug. And you are growing fast.



I looked at your car seat manual, and I realized that within a few weeks, you'll have outgrown your infant car seat, by height, not weight. It's time for Daddy and I to start shopping around and figuring out how to get you in and out of daycare until you learn how to walk. I'm hoping I can find a stroller that can fit in my little car trunk, so that you can go in that while I carry your sister in the Ergo. We'll see how that goes. I love picking you up at daycare, seeing those smiles when you realize I'm there, hearing your excited noises as you wait for me to lift you up and hug you. So I'll find a way to make this work.



This month you became a master at rolling over. I'll glance away and when I look back you are halfway across the room, a little speed demon. We need to start babyproofing, pronto. We got rid of the coffee table, as it wasn't terribly sturdy, and now you have the whole living room to roll around on. We just pile all your little toys onto the big blue blanket that we like to pretend contains you two, and let you both at them. Sometimes I'm reminded of Scrooge McDuck rolling around in his money the way you sometimes just roll right over your toys, hard plastic blocks and soft rattles both.


When we lift you up you straighten your legs out, finally, so that you can stand for a little while with our support. For the longest time you either would keep your legs curled up or collapse immediately when we put your weight onto your legs. But you've been strengthening them in the bounceroo, which we have to adjust soon because you are just getting so darned tall! It's such a joy to watch you bouncing in that thing, because it's so evident that it brings you so much joy.

You're starting to fight back against your sister, not caving when she grabs for a toy you have. You sometimes even just roll away with it. You also like to pull her hair and ears. Try to be gentle.



When we put you on the changing table you often roll to your side, grabbing at whatever bib or burp cloth is on it. Soon we'll have to change you on the floor. Speaking of grabbing bibs, your favorite thing to chew on these days is anything cloth. Bibs, burp cloths, blankets, soft toys, Mama's shirt, you name it, you want to chew on it. I'm thinking it might have something to do with teething. All I know is it cracks me up when I see you grabbing at a bib and two burp cloths at the same time and trying to gnaw on them all. You're a hoarder!


This weekend is your baptism, and I'm hoping you don't freak out. It's not at the best time of day (naptime) and you probably won't enjoy the water too much. But so many people are coming to tell you they love you and it should be a fun day. I'm afraid to try your outfit on you because you have gotten so tall lately. We'll just hope for the best.

In July we have lots of fun stuff going on, and I'm so excited for it all. July 4th, BBQs, and a week at the beach should all be such great new experiences for you and your sister. I can't wait!

  

I love you, little man,
Mama

1 comment:

  1. :-)

    I love watching Kinley and her little daycare friend Roman play together. Since I was working from home today I got to drop her off and for awhile I held a baby in each arm! Was fun! For a few minutes, haha. But anyway, watching the interaction between them is awesome. It must be even more fun for you to watch your kiddos :-)

    ReplyDelete